Sunday, September 5, 2010

Beginning Anew

A year ago, when my friend Katie and I were training for our marathon, we discussed things we read on our friends' blogs and say we couldn't imagine having a blog....what would we write about?!?  Little did I know that one year later I would be finishing up my last week at Colorado Coalition for the Homeless, looking forward to a relaxing two week trip to Holland, MI where I could rest while I was "unemployed," getting ready for an exciting trip to India with Micah, Katie and Ryan, AND anxiously awaiting the completion of Micah's PhD and our impending move to Albuquerque.

I have to admit that Albuquerque, New Mexico (nicknamed "ABQ" since the name is so darn long!) is one of the last places I ever imagined myself living.  The two reactions we get when we say we are moving to ABQ are 1) I love Santa Fe! or 2) Why??  Although Santa Fe is about 45 minutes from ABQ, we will not be spending much time there (I think those people are thinking "why" too, but they are trying to be polite).  The reason why we are moving to ABQ is because Micah has found a position at Sandia National Labs that he describes as a "good fit."  Surprisingly, it seems the higher the education one has the fewer the jobs that would be a "good fit," so the job locations are actually quite limited.  Hey, in my mind ABQ is at least a step above Huntsville, Alabama (no offense Melis :) ).

Some things we are looking forward to with our move to ABQ:
1. Being DINKS (dual income no kids) - we have been waiting 5 years of marriage for this!
2. Warmer winters - although ABQ is technically in the desert, the city does get a little snow in the winter
3. Shorter commutes - I should be able to ride my bike to work in 10 min (instead of 30-45 min in the car!)
4. Learning to love green chili - it is too hot for us right now but we know we'll have to learn to like it :)
5. ABQ sunsets - they are stunning!

I'm sure there are other things we are excited for, but overall I think we are just excited for CHANGE!  Although we are sad to leave our family and friends in CO, the thought of moving to a new place and beginning anew is exhilarating!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to read more. And while you never thought you'd write a blog it will be perfect for keeping friends and family updated once you are no longer DINKS and rather PARENTS! ;)

    ReplyDelete