Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Home

For the past two years I have worked at Colorado Coalition for the Homeless.  Part of the organization's mission is to provide housing to homeless and low-income families.

Last week, we finalized the sale of our house and, since we aren't actually moving to Albuquerque until mid-October, Micah and I are suddenly "homeless."

Whenever I go to Holland, MI to visit family and friends, people ask, "When are you going home?"  I always thought this was an odd question as I thought of Colorado as my home since we lived there for almost 8 years. 


For some, "home" is easy to define since they have lived in the same house for many years, or at least have lived in the same city for most of their lives.  For others, "home" is more abstract.  Now that we are in-between our life in Colorado and our life in Albuquerque, though, I am suddenly having trouble defining "home."  

After giving it some thought I have realized that I actually define "home" as the place one lived as a child.  Even those that we call "homeless" probably refer to someplace as "home."  In reality, some people are "houseless" but no one is really "homeless."  

Some day, Micah and I might think of Albuquerque as "home," but for now Holland, MI is what we call "home." 

1 comment:

  1. Nice. Although I do remember stern reminders from you about Holland not being home, but am thankful you think differntly! ;)

    ReplyDelete