Monday, November 8, 2010

Our "New" House!

Micah and I were fortunate to find a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house with a 2 stall garage (very difficult to find in ABQ!) in Nob Hill (the neighborhood we wanted to live in!).  We have a 6 month lease, but we have the option to stay longer if we want.  It is an old house - probably built in the 40's - but it was recently remodeled so we have brand new appliances and bathrooms!

The movers came last Monday and we worked on setting up the house every night for the last week.  Although I do love to organize, it is EXHAUSTING to unpack an entire house of stuff!  On Monday I unpacked our bedroom, and Micah set up the desks in the office.  On Tuesday I unpacked the kitchen, and Micah set up the computers in the the office. On Wednesday I worked on the kitchen some more (I just kept finding more boxes!) and Micah continued to work on the office.  On Thursday I started arranging the living room, and Micah worked on the office.  On Saturday we went shopping to buy items we needed for the house - my main goal was a microwave and Micah's main goal was convertors so we could plug our 3 prong computer plugs into our 2 prong outlets in the office.  On Sunday I put everything away in the bathrooms and linen closet, and Micah finished setting up the computers in the office.

What I realized this week was that we unpack our house in the order we find most important.  I started with our bedroom as I appreciate having my own bed to sleep on and my clothes organized, then I went to the kitchen as I enjoy having food in the house and being able to cook meals, then I went on to the living room as I value relaxation, and lastly I worked on the linen closet and bathrooms as I just find that stuff annoying to unpack.  I do understand that Micah must finish his PhD thesis in the next couple of weeks so his computers are quite important to him right now, but I also found it quite amusing that I set up the entire house in the time that he set up the office!  To his credit, he did help me move boxes and furniture when I asked, but really.... one room!  Luckily, I really do like to organize :).

2 comments:

  1. Oh Micah, this is one that you will never live down. Knowing you'll be moving within the year (or so) I will make it my duty to remind him of this on your next move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha - well he actually just laughed when he read this because he knows it is true :)

    ReplyDelete